Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Crossing Santiam Pass, Oregon

I met Bryan and Molly east of Eugene, headed toward our first major 5000'+ crossing, Santiam Pass, Oregon. They are from Portland and are also headed East to Virginia, via a side trip through Canada and the Atlantic Coast! At the summit it was 29 degrees and blowing snow. On the descent I completely lost my rear brake pads due to the grit and water solution. Molly and Bryan stopped on the other side of the mountain at a family cabin. I hope to cross paths with them again.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Hey Gary! Glad you survived the miserable descent down Santiam Pass. I waited for you for a while at the turn off to Camp Sherman to offer you a warm bed at the cabin, but after awhile, I figured you stopped at Suttle Lake to warm up. I knew you wanted to push on to Prineville, but thought a warm bed might sound good at that point. Sorry we missed eachother. We're in Mitchell tonight (6/10) and trailing quite a ways behind you. We spent 2 days at the cabin and enjoyed every second of it. It was great riding with you. Enjoy the rest of your trip. -Brian & Molly