Monday, June 16, 2008


In the valley below, U.S. calvary were ambushed and killed by the Nez Perce Indians and Chief White Bird. The climb out of the valley almost did me in as well. It was the hardest ascent for me thus far. It was on Old Highway 95, in Idaho, and involved a stretch of approximately ten miles and 20 - 25 switchback curves. It took me over two hours to climb. Unfortunately, I pushed a little extra this day and approached the base at mile 90, with twenty to go to my next stop in Grangeville, Idaho. A total of 110.5 miles this day! A new single day record!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You-Da-Man!! Isn't that right next to I-Da-Ho?

-MTE

Betty said...

Hi Gary,
Beautiful country, however, I am not envious - I'll keep the Prius!
Praying for your safe trip.
Betty

Unknown said...

Hey Coach!
Hope all is going well! Keep on pedaling! HaHa! The views are beautiful and the people seem really encouraging! So have fun!

Double A

McCracken Adventures said...

Gary,
I met you as you were descending the Harpster Grade to the South Fork of the Clearwater during your trek across Idaho. Our group of cyclists was on a 95 mile day ride from Kamiah to Whitebird Summit and back. Check our club website at www.twinriverscyclists.org.
Best wishes on your tour. I'm enjoying your blog.
Jim McCracken, Clarkston, WA